Early Childhood Education
The Early Childhood Education (ECE) program prepares students for employment as a lead preschool teacher in a private preschool setting. With successful completion of this program, the student will earn the Florida Department of Education Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC) along with the Florida Department of Education Children and Families Staff Credential. The major areas of training for this program include the mandated Department of Children and Families (DCF) 45-hour programs, along with creating and implementing lesson plans, interpersonal relations, community issues, developmentally appropriate practices (DAP), children with special needs, professionalism, and employability skills. Students enrolled in this program will be prepared to pursue the national Child Development Associate (CDA).
|PROGRAM NUMBER||PROGRAM TITLE||PROGRAM LENGTH|
|HEV0870||Child Care Worker 1||150 Hours|
|HEV0871||Child Care Worker 2||150 Hours|
|HEV0872||Teacher Aide (Preschool)||150 Hours|
|HEV0873||Preschool Teacher||150 Hours|
- Applicants must have a standard high school diploma or GED®.
- Schedule the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE) or provide official documentation for a TABE exemption to your program counselor.
- Schedule an appointment with your program counselor for TABE results and/or a program specific orientation.
- Applicants must complete a background check.
- Register for classes during open enrollment.
Program Hours and Schedule:
600 Hours/1 year/Hybrid
Classes start twice per year in August and January.
Part-time: Monday – Friday, 9:15 am – 12:45 pm
480 documented internship hours/120 online hours (daily assignments)
Actual start and end times will vary based on internship site and on-line assignments.
Industry Certifications and Licensure:
Florida Department of Education Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC)
Florida Department of Education Children and Families Staff Credential
Requirements for Certification:
- High School diploma or GED®
- State and federal background check
- Documentation of 480 hours of direct contact with preschool children
- Achieve a passing grade on all on-line assignments
- Achieve a passing score on the 7 DCF competency exams
- Completion of state-mandated basic skills
- Physical exam
- CPR/First Aid Training
Private Preschool Lead Teacher
Private Preschool Assistant Teacher
For additional information about national and program accreditation, contact the institution.
|Florida Resident Tuition||$1,680.00|
|Out of State Tuition||$6,720.00|
|Registration, Activity, Lab, Test, Insurance, and Trust Fees||$185.00|
|Books / Supplies||$202.00|
|Industry Certification & State Credential Exam Costs||$55.00|
|Florida Resident Total Cost||$2,122.00|
|Out of State Total Cost||$7,162.00|
Fees are based on the number of class days according to the Broward County Public Schools calendar. Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.
For additional information, please contact the Office of Admissions Counselor for Early Childhood Education:
Meghan Emerson, Certified School Counselor
(754) 321-5891 or [email protected]